SPECIAL SEMINAR ON LAVA JATO, NOVEMBER 15, 2017
Comprehensive discussion on key consequences of Lava Jato.
Organized by leading Brazilian and New York law firms, separate panels will address enforcement, compliance, and due diligence issues, and how they have been impacted by Lava Jato.
Registration - 4:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Panel 1: Anti-corruption Enforcement in Brazil and Beyond – 5:00 p.m. – 5:45 p.m.
There have been a number of recent coordinated enforcement actions involving American and Brazilian authorities. This panel will feature the current head of the Justice Department’s Foreign Corrupt Practices Act unit, Dan Kahn, and attorneys from the private sector with extensive experience in cross-border investigations. The panelists will address the roles and prerogatives of American and Brazilian enforcement agencies, international investigative techniques and coordination, recent enforcement trends (i.e., lessons learned from Car Wash), and practical tips for companies that are navigating multijurisdictional investigations.
- Kyle Sheahen, Partner, King & Spalding
- Marcio Mello Silva Baptista, Partner, TozziniFreire Advogados
- Daniel Kahn, Chief of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act Unit, U.S. DOJ, Fraud Section
- Jason Jones, Partner, King & Spalding
- Denis Jacob, Director, Global Commercial Compliance, Becton Dickinson
Panel 2: Compliance in Brazil and Beyond: a Brave New World – 5:45 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Sweeping Lava Jato investigations and other high-profile anti-corruption investigations, as well as the implementation of Brazil’s Clean Company Act, have changed the game for multinationals in Brazil, upending the political and legal landscape. This panel will explore the new compliance framework in Brazil and consider what steps companies operating or investing in Brazil should do to protect themselves and their investors, including the benefits and drawbacks tied to conducting and reporting the results of internal investigations, and whether companies should consider complying with ISO 37001.
- Nick Berg, Partner, Ropes & Gray
- Colleen Conry, Partner, Ropes & Gray
- Art Middlemiss, Partner, Lewis Baach Kaufmann Middlemiss
- Anna-Louise Oliver, Vice President, The Carlyle Group
- Eloy Rizzo, Partner, KLA
Panel 3: Corporate M&A in the Wake of Lava Jato – 6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
As many companies come under investigation for corruption, divesting assets has become a common strategy to address the need for liquidity and/or a desire to exit the market. While this scenario creates multiple M&A opportunities in Brazil, investors worry about acquiring assets and companies that may have corruption-related liabilities or that are under investigation by Brazilian or US authorities. This panel will focus on due diligence issues that come up in these transactions and ways to minimize liabilities.
- Wade Angus, Partner, Jones Day
- Marcello Hallake, Partner, Jones Day
- Michael McGuinnes, Partner, Jones Day
- Marcos Spieler, Managing Director, Rothschild
- Marcelo Messer, Director, Rothschild
- João Ricardo Ribeiro, Partner, Mattos Filho
Networking Reception - 7:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
DATE OF EVENT:
November 15, 2017
4:30 PM to 8:30 PM
EVENT REGISTRATION FEES:
- Member: $ 35.00
- Non Member: $ 70.00
Jones Day (250 Vessey Street, New York, New York 10281)
- ABERJE - Associacao Brasileira de Comunicacao Empresarial
- Absolute: RIO
- AcheiUSA - News for Brazilians
- Artes Visuais - Mariah Campolina
- B&B - Brasilerias Brasileiros
- Brazil Found
- Brazilian Endowment for the Arts
- Brazilian Press Newspaper
- Brazilian Voice Newspaper
- BRAZILIAN- AMERICA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, INC
- Brazilian-American Chamber of Commerce of Florida
- Casa do Brasil Internacional
- Cidadão GLobal
- Consulado-Geral do Brasil em New York
- Converge Comunicações
- DATAGRO Agricultural Consultancy
- Dia do Brasil
- Diamonds Herbs
- DWM - Maquetes - Marcelo Eduardo
- Eduardo |Campos
- Fátima Brito - Designer de interiores
- Gazeta News Newspaper
- Gilberto Amaral
- Governo de Goiás
- Governo Federal - Brasil
- Inffinito - Brazilian Film Festival
- JN Television
- John Ford Model
- Life Fashion & Magazine
- Metro Trades
- Ministerio da Cultura - Governo Federal
- Miriana Lagazzi
- Na Midia por Uiara Zagolin
- National Library of Brazil
- NEW YORK EVENTS
- Open Sea by Eteryu1
- Os Papa Famoso
- People Who Make the Difference
- Pierre Construção Metálicas
- Piquet Law Firm
- Radio 9 Minutos NY
- Revista CBTur VIP
- Rosely Saad - Portuguese Language Institute
- Smart Group Services
- Sula Costa - Costa Consulting Co.
- US OPEN
- World Art Show
- WTensai Construtora